Active Shooter/Hostile Intruder: Emergency Procedures
- If it is possible to escape the area safely, do so quietly.
- If attempting to escape, do not carry phones or other objects in your hands. As you move through open areas keep your HANDS ELEVATED with OPEN PALMS visible, especially if encountering responding law enforcement officers. Follow all the instructions officers may give you.
- If you CANNOT SAFELY EXIT the building, seek shelter in a room with the doors locked or barricaded securely.
- Close and lock windows, lower blinds, remain out of sight, and turn off lights.
- Once secured inside, take cover behind concrete walls, thick desks and filing cabinets. Stay away from windows and doors.
- Remain quiet and turn off cell phone ringers.
- ONLY ONE PERSON from the room should call police at 911 and tell them where you are, where the intruder is and the conditions of the others with you. If you cannot speak, leave the line open so the dispatcher can hear what is happening.
- If it can be accomplished safely, assist injured persons.
- Do not respond to any unfamiliar voice commands until you can be sure that they are coming from a police officer.
- Do not open the door until you can be positive that it is a police officer or a recognized campus official coming to help you.
Emergency Info Center Public Safety Website Contact Public Safety